Usability testing is an essential part of user centered design processes. It is necessary to evaluate prototypes: if designers made wrong assumptions or missed requirements, a usability test is likely to reveal them. Testing can be carried out in a usability lab, or on-site with a portable usability lab. Usability testing typically includes synchronized recoding of multiple modalities: a close up image of the user, a screen capture video, eye tracking, facial expression analysis, physiological data, speech, tasks, errors, and more. The Observer® XT is ideal to combine all these data streams. Take a look at some example usability labs! We also have an experience lab for rent.
Viso: Multi-video, multi-room recording suite
Viso is the user-friendly software suite for audio, video, and screen capture recording, debriefing, and playback. User experience research will benefit from this new software suite. The Viso software suite is highly scalable. You can start with 2 rooms (4 cameras/screen capture devices per room) and expand the system to an unlimited number of rooms. You can create your own lab, and design it the way you want!
A diverse collection of scientific articles citing Noldus products are published in renowned journals each week. The following list is only a small selection of scientific publications in this area.
- Astell, A.J. et al. Using a touch screen computer to support relationships between people with dementia and caregivers. Interacting with Computers (2010), doi; 10.1016/j.intcom.2010.03.003
- Goldberg, J.H. (2012). Relating perceived web page complexity to emotional valence and eye movement metrics. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 56th Annual Meeting, 501-505.
- Niu, J.; Liu, Y.; Lin, J.; Zhu, L.; Wang, K. (2014). Stroke ++: A new Chinese input method for touch screen mobile phones. International Journal Human-Computer Studies 72, 440-450.
- Tenopir, C.; Wang, P.; Zhang, Y.; Simmons, B.; Pollard, R (2008). Academic users’ interactions with ScienceDirect in search tasks: Affective and cognitive behaviors. Information Processing and Management, 44, 105-121.
- Yammiyavar, P.; Clemmensen, T.; & Kumar, J. (2008). Influence of Cultural Background on Non-verbal Communication in a Usability Testing Situation. International Journal of Design [Online], 2 (2).