User experience (UX) is the overall experience of a person using a product such as a website or computer application, and his or her emotions and attitudes while using this particular product, system, or service.
UX research focuses on discovering and understanding behaviors, needs, and motivations of users through observation, task analysis, and other feedback methodologies.
UX Research tools
Noldus provides both UX testing tools and complete user experience labs. Discover some UX labs that we've set-up with partners, and discover the best UX research tools for analyzing and visualizing your user research:
- Viso®: State-of-the-art solution for creating A/V recordings
- FaceReader™: Premier automated system for recognition of facial expressions
- NoldusHub: All-in-one platform for human behavior studies, designed to save time and easily achieve trustworthy high-quality measurements and direct insights
- Easy integration with eye tracking data and physiology data
Viso: State-of-the-art recording tool
Viso is the easy-to-use solution for creating video and audio recordings in order to capture the user experience of your test participants. The software suite has proved itself as an ideal instrument to perform usability tests and conduct user experience studies, enhance teamwork training, and much more.
Viso provides the video material needed to gain insights into processes, accessibility, human performance, and communication. Moreover, recordings are immediately available for playback and debriefing.
How Viso supports your UX research
With these features, Viso supports you in conducting your UX research:
- Ease-of-use – Viso's clean interface easily guides you to efficient usability tests
- Scalable system – From 1 to many concurrent users, and from 1 to an unlimited number of rooms
- Screen capture – Register how a user interacts with the (new) design by capturing the full screen
- Playback videos straightaway – Recorded videos are immediately available for playback from any location
- Remote viewing – View recorded videos from another location with Viso Web App
FaceReader: Automated facial expression analysis
FaceReader is the most robust automated system for facial expressions analysis, and the recognition of a number of specific properties in facial images. These include the six basic or universal expressions: happy, sad, angry, surprised, scared, and disgusted. Additionally, FaceReader can recognize a 'neutral' state and analyze 'contempt'.
The software immediately analyzes your data (live, video, or still images), saving valuable time. The circumplex model of affect describes the distribution of emotions in a 2D circular space, containing arousal and valence dimensions.
FaceReader is the most reliable software tool for facial expression analysis (source)
"After considerable research, it was clear Noldus Technology was the only option to turn our vision into reality. By delivering a deep-dive into the user experience, Noldus helps us ensure our clients and their services reach the right audiences at the right moment."
Sudipt Shah|Co-founder and CEO Digital of Things, UAE
In order to understand a person’s motivation and emotional state, multimodal research is the way forward!
NoldusHub is the all-in-one platform for human behavior studies, including UX research. It is specifically designed to save you time, and easily achieve trustworthy high-quality measurements and direct insights into human behavior.
Eye trackers add substantial power to your lab set-up. They produce gaze path video and large quantities of rich data, all related to attention and emotion.
As we often integrate eye trackers into lab as well as portable set-ups, we can help you find the eye tracker that works best for you. We will assist you in the process from start to finish, including lab installation, training your team and setting up experiments, and creating custom scenarios.
Benefits of using eye trackers in your research:
- See what your test participant is looking at.
- Get rich, quantitative, and reliable data for attention, mental load, and arousal
- Combine eye tracking videos and other sources like FaceReader™ or data acquisition systems with The Observer® XT
- Benefit from a completely integrated system
Free white paper
How to build a usability lab
To get off to a good start, it is best to describe the research or tests that are going to be performed in great detail. With this description, it becomes clear what kind of equipment will be needed, and which physical environment would best suit this user test or research.
Would you like to learn more? Download this FREE ‘how to’ guide!
"Help designers to design new and better products."
Prof. Pierre-Majorique Léger tells about user experience research and how to measure users' interactions with technology.
Watch the video to learn more about why he chooses Noldus' tools.
Noldus and UX research
UX research focuses on discovering and understanding behaviors, needs, and motivations of users through observation, task analysis, and other feedback methodologies. Reliable data is very important for user-centered design processes. While you observe the user of your product, you can receive direct feedback about your product. Is it being used in the way you meant it to, or does it need to be adjusted?
Contact us to find out how we can help you to get the best user insights!