The Observer ® XT is the professional and user-friendly event logging software for the collection, analysis, and presentation of observational data. It supports the entire workflow of a research project. You can extend the basic system with up to five modules, or request our software development kit, depending on your research needs.
The Observer XT 11.5
- Powerful and improved reliability analysis including enhanced pair selection and filtering. Watch the video!
- Detailed and clear visualization of the scored events
- Audio import and wave visualization
- Undo/redo up to 15 actions in the event log
- A modern and intuitive user interface
- And much, much more
Furthermore, The Observer XT also runs on the most recent operating system of Windows - Windows 8!
Video & audio
- Direct playback of QuickTime movie files (.mov), MP4 video files (.MP4), and mobile video files (.3GP, .3G2).This allows for straightforward import of videos recorded with iPhones, iPads, iPods, or Android tablets, for example.
- Play/Pause the video by using the Space bar. Since the Space bar is used more and more, videos in The Observer XT can now also be played or paused this way.
- Import and visualize audio files. The audio stream of the video is now instantly visualized as a wave file, in sync with the video. Simply browse through your videos and watch the visualized audio stream. It can help you to quickly find important interactions, for example when a child was talking.
Observe, code, and describe behavior
- Up to 1024 characters per event can be used to comment on behaviors, to record notes, and write out conversations. Text is visualized in the event log and in a separate window. In this window, text can be copied and pasted, even short keys such as CTRL +C and CTRL +V can be used.
- Search through your data with the robust search function in the software. Find data quickly, for example a certain word in the comment field (free text).
- Improvements were made in the UI. Wishes and requests made by you and other users of the software, working with The Observer XT on a daily basis, enabled us to develop software which suits your needs!
Select and analyze data
- Separate selection box for modifiers. This makes that you can use the data selection with all the filters as easy as you can set up your coding scheme.
- Data Profiles can easily be copied to save valuable time creating new data profiles. By copying your selection you can, for example, easily copy-paste the same selection boxes for men as you had already designed for women.
- Build AND selections and OR selections by selecting modifiers. Modifier filters and nesting selection boxes have been seperated from the behavior filters and –nesting selection boxes allowing for a powerful AND or OR data profile. For example, select ‘Away (Looking behavior)’ AND ‘Mother (Talking to child, Verbal behavior)’; a child is looking away and at the same time the mother is talking to the child.
- Modifiers within the same group can be merged into a new modifier with its own duration / frequency making your modifier list shorter. Modifier merging has an effect on the behavior with which it is linked. When, for example, the behavior Walk is scored three times consecutively with different modifiers (Slow, Normal, Fast) and these three modifiers are merged, this will result in a merged behavior Walk (frequency = 1, duration = 9). Furthermore, behaviors of different behavior groups can also be merged into a new behavior with its own duration / frequency.
- Visualize multiple observations - this allows for the comparison of several observations at one time. For instance, visually compare the observation of the teacher with the students' version. Following the observations, the researcher can proceed with an in-depth reliability analysis to calculate kappa and other statistics.
- When starting a behavioral or numerical analysis, you can click the calculate button manually without having to design a layout first. After this initial calculation, you can format the table to your wishes by defining a layout.