UX & Usability Conferences in 2023 (+5 reasons to attend a UX conference)
Conferences and events are a great way to get updated on the latest trends in your field, meet peers, or present your work. Besides that, they can be the perfect place to update your know-how and connect with other professionals at the same time. Attending an international UX conference can provide many benefits for someone working in UX design.
Which UX conferences should you attend in 2023?
Depending on your personal goals and interest, you can decide which UX conferences are most interesting for you to attend. To help you out, we’ve created an extensive list of User Design and UX conferences and events taking place in 2023.
Usability and UX conferences in Europe in 2023
European countries will host plenty of UX conferences where all aspects of usability testing and related user research will get the spotlight.
- Interaction 23 - February 25 –March 3, 2023 in Zurich, Switzerland - The interaction design conference that's built around a global community focused on current society and future challenges, and the role of technology in perpetuating social and environmental injustice.
- UX Copenhagen - March 23–24, 2023 in Copenhagen, Denmark (and virtual) - UX Copenhagen is Denmark’s human experience conference, and includes talks from local and international speakers, workshops, and networking. This year’s theme is invisibility.
- UXinsight - April 17–19, 2023 in Breda, The Netherlands (and virtual) - UXinsight is the largest UX research community in Europe. Now in its seventh year, UXinsight Festival 2023 will focus on taking the time to look inwards with a suitable theme “pause, rewind, and play”.
- CHI 2023 - April 23– 28, 2023 in Hamburg, Germany - The ACM CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems is the premier international conference of Human-Computer Interaction (HCI). The overarching goal: to make the world a better place with interactive digital technologies.
Join us as we display Noldus’ latest innovations and tools for human factors and user experience research at CHI 2023 this year!
- UX STRAT Europe - June 5–7, 2023 in Amsterdam, The Netherlands - Aimed at research, design, product, and data science professionals, the theme of this year’s conference is "creating business value through design” and will also include presentations on bringing sustainability and humanity-centered design into the everyday work context.
- UX Nordic 2023 - August 24–25, 2023 in Aarhus, Denmark (and online) - The leading hybrid UX conference in the Nordics where you can expect rare case-studies, inspiring talks and quality workshops combined with networking and fun. A great UX event for UX design enthusiasts.
- INTERACT 2023 - 28 August–1 September, 2023 in York, UK (and online) - INTERACT 2023 is the 19th International Conference promoted by the IFIP Technical Committee 13 on Human–Computer Interaction.
- Design Matters 2023 - September 27–28, 2023 in Copenhagen, Denmark - Design Matters is a conference on digital design. It will be held in Copenhagen this year and brings together the digital design community to explore and inspire each other to innovate in the digital design space.
- World Usability Congress - October 10–12, 2023 in Graz, Austria - The World Usability Congress is a two-day conference for UX experts. There will be over 40 speakers from different industries sharing their real-world UX challenges, and a chance to collaborate in workshops.
- UXDX EMEA - October 11–13, 2023 in Dublin, Ireland (and online) - At UXDX EMEA you can learn the latest product, UX, design, and developer practices. Discover techniques that leading companies are using to empower their product teams to succeed.
Usability and UX conferences in the United States and Canada
There will be plenty of UX conferences in 2023 taking place on Northern American grounds in the USA and Canada.
- Experience Design 2023 - February 27–March 1, 2023 in Denver, CO, USA - Held in-person in Denver this year, Experience Design 2023 will focus on experience design best practices from industry leaders.
- Digital Thinkers Conference Toronto 2023 – May 4–5, 2023 in Toronto, Canada - Organized by Awwwards Online, Digital Thinkers Conference is stating to be the biggest digital design event of the year in Canada.
- UXDX USA 2023 - May 16–18, 2023 in New York City, NY, USA (and online) - At UXDX USA 2023, you'll learn the latest practices on UX, design, and development. Discover techniques that leading companies are using to empower their product teams to succeed.
- UXPA International 2023 - June 20–22, 2023 in Austin, TX, USA - UXPA International 2023 will bring the UX community together in Austin, Texas. The conference typically covers a wide range of topics related to UX design, including user research, design processes, design tools and techniques, and emerging technologies.
- CHI PLAY 2023 – October 10–13, 2023 in Stratford, Ontario, Canada - CHI PLAY is the international and interdisciplinary conference (by ACM SIGCHI) for researchers and professionals across all areas of play, games and human-computer interaction (HCI). Or, as they call it, “player-computer interaction.”
- HFES 2023 – The 67th International Annual Meeting of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society takes place from October 23-27 in Washington, DC, USA . It's one of our favorite human factor conferences to attend and exhibit!
- CanUX 2023 - Canada’s premier UX event - November 1–4, 2023 in Ottawa, Canada - CanUX is Canada's premier annual experience design event, featuring hands-on workshops and a world-class mix of amazing presentations
UX conferences in Asia and Oceania
Traveling around the world for a UX event? You might want to attend these UX research conferences 2023:
- UX New Zealand - February 15–17, 2023 in Wellington, New Zealand (and virtual) - The UX New Zealand program offers a mix of local and international speakers who will share insights and perspectives, in-person and from around the world over Zoom. Talks and workshops are aimed at service designers, marketers, UX writers, and user researchers.
- UX STRAT APAC - April 20–21, 2023 in Bangkok, Thailand - UX STRAT APAC is a conference for research, design, product, and data science professionals in the APAC region. This year's theme is “Creating business value through design.”
- User Experience Hong Kong (UXHK) 2023 - November, 2023 in Hong Kong, China - Celebrating UXHK 10th Year Anniversary of User Experience Hong Kong, this year the UXHK event will also include 8 global online learning events throughout the year + a face to face Learning Event in November 2023 in Hong Kong.
5 Reasons why attending an international UX Conference is a great idea
Attending an international UX conference can provide many benefits for someone working in UX design and user testing, including:
- Networking opportunities - Conferences provide a platform for UX professionals to network with peers, build relationships with other professionals in the field, and exchange ideas and best practices.
- Staying current with trends and tools - Conferences offer the latest insights, trends, and research in UX design, enabling professionals to stay current with the latest advancements in their field. It's also a great chance to learn about the latest UX research tools, and seeing them demonstrated in the exhibition. You can directly talk to the manufacturer and get tailored advice on the use of specific tools in your research
- Inspiration and creativity - The most effective UX designs often come from a combination of diverse perspectives, creating well-rounded and inclusive experiences. Conferences provide a space to be inspired and to learn from other professionals in the field, which can help spark new ideas and approaches to UX design.
- Professional development - Conferences provide opportunities for professional development, such as workshops, sessions, and training, that can help UX professionals improve their skills and knowledge.
- Exposure to diverse perspectives - Attending an international conference can provide exposure to diverse perspectives and approaches to UX design from different parts of the world, which can broaden one's understanding and enrich their design thinking. You’ll learn from a variety of sources, including cultural differences, personal experiences, and professional backgrounds.
Overall, attending an international UX conference can be a valuable investment in your professional development, and can provide a platform for growth, learning, and networking in the UX design community.
Want to know more about Noldus and tools for usability testing and UX research? Find out more about the latest Noldus tools for user experience and usability testing, like NoldusHub! Or sign up for the Noldus Newsline to stay updated on the conferences we are attending.
Please note: Noldus Information Technology is not responsible for organizing these conferences and events. More details and up-to-date information on each event can be found by visiting the conference event websites.