Pre-Neuroscience 2018 Seminar and Networking event
San Diego, California, USA
November 2, 2018
Dr. Rita Balice-Gordon, Global Head, Neuroscience Therapeutic Area, Sanofi Inc., Boston, USA
Over the last ten years, the scientific community has been dealing with mounting evidence on the challenge of robustness, generalizability and translational value of animal testing in biomedical research. A recently launched project called European Quality in Preclinical Data (EQIPD, http://www.eqipd.org/), funded jointly by the European Commission and major pharmaceutical companies under the Innovative Medicines Initiative, brings together resources from both academia and industry in the EU and USA to create simple, sustainable solutions to facilitate data quality without impacting innovation and freedom of research.
At this event, experts from the EQIPD consortium will propose and discuss possible tools, such as a fit-for-purpose quality management system (QMS), which may incorporate best practices from clinical research to advise on experimental design (e.g. number of animals, blinding and randomization of treatments). Such a QMS should also interact with and manage research instruments such as video tracking and telemetry systems. Several speakers will discuss the challenges in reproducibility, requirements for a quality management system, the design of the system, and experiences of users.
- Opening, welcome by the session chair
- Why is research quality important? Short pitches from different perspectives:
- Academic research: Prof. Dr. Hanno Würbel (University of Berne)
- Pharmaceutical industry: Dr. Isabel Lefevre (Sanofi)
- Academic core facility: Dr. Bruce O‘Hara (University of Kentucky)
- Funding agency: Dr. Shai Silberberg (NINDS / NIH)
- Publishing: Dr. Eric Prager (Wiley)
- Patients: Dr. Magali Haas (Cohen Veterans Bioscience)
- Introduction to the EQIPD project and the EQIPD Quality Management System: Prof. Dr. Malcolm Macleod (University of Edinburgh)
- The behavior lab of the future: Dr. Lucas Noldus (Noldus Information Technology)
- Interactive session (all participants) about the requirements, functionality and acceptance of the Quality Management System.
- Networking and socializing
Attendance is free of charge, but seating is limited. Complimentary drinks and snacks will be provided.
To reserve your seat, please preregister for the event by emailing Yvonne Humphrey at Yvonne.Humphrey@noldus.com with your first and last name and company/institution.
Time: 3:00-6:00 PM